Saturday, August 20, 2005

We're Baaack!

Well, the floor is sandy, the laundry room is piled high, and the coffee is made -- we're back. We had a WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC, FABULOUS time. I don't remember if I mentioned previously that this trip was an extended family trip, that included my folks, two of my three brothers and their wives and children. We stayed at a camp that has a group of cabins, a lodge with a GLORIOUS kitchen, a shower house and a beach. They had canoes, a paddle boat, a pier, a raft with a slide, beach umbrellas, lots of swim and sand toys, as well as inside toys in the lodge. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Many times during the week, I felt like quite possibly this was the best vacation we have ever had.

The first day was a little rough, trying to establish the logistics and division of labor, but once that was smoothed out, it was terrific. The images that just burn into my brain are watching the kids (there were 18 of them all togeter) play on the beach. One day I took our one year old down to the beach - an experience entirely new to her. She had on her little swim suit, and I put a bandana on her head to protect her from the sun. She loved the sand, and sat there putting it in a bucket, squishing it in her hands, and squealing with delight. She looked like a little Hummel baby, fat rosy cheeks peeking out from the bandana, chubby fists holding the shovel, pudgy little feet burrowing into the sand. *sigh*. My 7 year old ds loved canoing. He was out at the break of day, waiting for my mom to get up so they could get out on the lake. He just went on and on, "Don't you just love this, Grammy, isn't this beautiful. It's so quiet, so nice. Isn't this wonderful, Grammy?" The other kids are brown as berries, after having spent so many hours in the water. There are a few peeling shoulders and noses, despite the regular application of sunscreen.

One night my sister in law and brother broke out their guitars, and played songs from "O Brother Where Art Thou". Everyone has this soundtrack, and all the kids know the songs, so all 26 of us were singing along, enjoying the evening. When the music began, there were maybe 10 kids in the immediate area, but after a song or two, all the rest wandered over. It was lovely.

I have many more wonderful moments to relate, but this is all the time I have for now. Gotta get back to the laundry and other stuff, so until next time, blessings to you all.

6 Comments:

Blogger rita said...

Glad you are back! Sounds like a wonderful vacation. Love "O Brother Where Art Thou".

August 20, 2005  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm glad you had such a lovely vacation! My vacation was also an extended family cabiny sort of thing, and I think it is a lovely way to connect and reconnect. Hope you find time to come by my blog and have a say on some of the things we've been discussing. I've missed your input!

August 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're going to try doing that next summer sometime with my sister and kids and us...and my Dad and his wife too! There's an Algonquin National Park not too far from here that has cabins and such. Do you mind me asking what campground you guys went to? (or did you say in a previous post? -- I'll check) If it isn't too far for us, I'd like to check it out. It sounds wonderful! I love the description of the baby in the sand. "*sigh*" is right!

August 22, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

I will post some photos of little chubby girl (the baby, not me) as soon as I get them from my sil. It was soooo cute!

August 22, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

Alexa - the camp was a private camp owned by a group of our church members. It isn't public, and currently only members of the church can rent it. I have heard this might change, and if it does I will certainly let you know.

August 23, 2005  
Blogger Julie said...

It sounds like a great trip. We're thinking of going on a camping trip near the end of summer, but are worried about how Jude will do in a tent. He sleeps so poorly while he's away from home.

August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home