Thursday, August 25, 2005

Construction ahead

Just the other night, I was driving home rather late from my dear sister-in-law's home. She lives in the country, with a beautiful farm and 5 acres. I had stayed after a garden club meeting for a while, and was driving home on the tollway through farm country. Now, I don't have the best vision in the world, and at night, in the dark country, I am more uncertain.

I was tooling along, listening to a totally cool new CD, when up ahead, I noticed many baracades, flashing lights, reflectors, and orange merging signs. Obviously construction of some sort, but what concerned me was I could not see which direction the road went. I did have the orange signs indicating it would curve to the left, but all I could see ahead were the baracades. Sitting up straighter, holding the steering wheel with both hands, my grip becoming much tigher, and a little sweaty, I squinted and strained to tell what was up ahead. Increasingly nervous, I was trying to get an idea before I got to the detour where I would have to go. Depite my most valiant attempts, no amount of straining the eye or prognostications could tell me where I was to go. I realized I would just have to wait until I got there before I would be able to see which way the road went.

BAM!!! Then it hit me. I need to live my life this way. I spend so much energy straining and struggling to figure out which way my life is going to turn, I feel as if I am white-knuckling each day. Struggling, straining, sweating, worrying, wondering. I am tired, and tense. It is so exhausting to try to know the future. As I learned in a very real way just the other night, if I just relax, follow the road until I get to the uncertainty, I will be able to see and navigate the curves in my road.

I haven't had such a moment of clarity in a long time. I have been praying about all the fears I have, asking Our Lord to ease my mental burdens. This lesson was so perfect, I heard His message loud and clear. Let today's troubles be sufficiant for the day. He will lead me through the curves and narrow passages, but not until I get there.

Hope you all have a blessed day!

7 Comments:

Blogger Trying2BMe said...

Just stumbled across your BLOG and read this post. Amazing how deeply it touched me. I too struggle with every single day preparing for a future I know nothing about. I worry about my daughter, my mother and lastly, myself. I hope to come to your clarity real soon before I make a wrong turn.
Thank you.

August 25, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

Ahh, trying2beme, the clarity came, and went, and I must reach back to the memory to calm myself. I wish lessons learned were learned forever, no?

August 25, 2005  
Blogger rita said...

wow...you just hit the hammer on the nail. what an amazing revelation. praise GOD.

August 26, 2005  
Blogger Julie D. said...

GOOD ONE!!!

August 26, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

I told her to put this on the BLOG --DH

August 26, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice, thanks so much for the reminder. Needed it today. :)

August 29, 2005  
Blogger Lori said...

Well, I'm adding you to my blogroll. I find you interesting and talented. I'm new to this blogging thing, started my own just days ago...it's kinda fun, ya know?

August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home