Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Yet another book finished that is not on my original reading list for this year.

While I was on our wonderful vacation, I was able to read one entire book. I haven't read a book that quickly in years, although I used to do so quite frequently. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, titled "The Secret Life of Bees". I have heard of this book before, and am wondering if anyone else had read it. I found it easy reading, and while certainly sad, the book touched upon the Big Question - Am I Loved? It was hopeful, loving, and uplifting, despite the tragic circumstances that occur in the story. It addresses Mary the Mother of God in some rather unusual, but not disrespectful, ways. Truly, this was a book I was sad to finish, and definately worth the time invested in reading it.

3 Comments:

Blogger rita said...

I was also sad to finish this book. I loved the female relationships. And you're right- the Mary as a figure was not disrespectful, albeit unusual!

August 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to read that one! Did you finish A Cry of Stone?

August 25, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

Alexa,

Yes, I did finish it. I did enjoy it for the most part, but I had my reservations. Below is a clip of what I wrote about it the day I finished it.

"I finally finished "A Cry of Stone" by Michael O'Brien. I have mixed emotions about it. It had some good parts, some inspirational parts, but overall even at over 800 pages, I never really understood the main character, Rose, and some of the story lines actually made me say out loud, "O, brother (dramatic rolling of the eyes)".

August 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home