Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Compendium of ideas

Well, the first two days of school have gone well. It is interesting to have 5 children to homeschool now. There is a 7th grader, and 5th grader, a 4th grader, a 1st grader, and a Kindergartener. Then a 3 year old pre-schooler, and an active 16 month old. We have begun choir, homeschool P.E., tutoring, and piano lessons. I have the week's menu ready, including snacks. I have the schedules typed. We have a before bed routine, and a earlier morning rise time. So, this sounds very ambitious, but so far, by the end of day 2, all is well.

Big news - for the past 3 days, my feet have hardly hurt at all. For the last 16 months, they have hurt every day, so I hope this ability to move and get more done is going to last.

The addition is progressing well, and we begin the dreaded remodeling inside next week. Except for having our master bath torn out, there hasn't been any interruption to our current home. By next week, our hallway will get demolished and a new hallway put it. Dust and noise, but hopefully just for a week.

Oh, remember the baby mice we saved? Well, this last week, smack in the middle of 90 degree Indian Summer, some persistant mouse has chewed through our thermostat wires 3 days in a row. This kills the A/C, and requires a visit from a professional. Also, the mouse I am trying to kill in my silverware drawer just cleans out the trap, leaves a few droppings, and goes his merry way. No good deed goes unpunished, I tell you.

All the big kids are at choir tonight, along with dh, so the little ones are going to bed at 7:00 pm; I should have 90 minutes of quiet to grade papers and maybe have a cup of coffee and a biscotti. Maybe do a little laundry and listen to the radio with out interruption. Maybe I'll wash the Kitchen Floor, while I listen to some of my favorite music. We'll see.

Last night I went to a lecture on iconography. The iconographer had a showing of her works, as well as a presentation on the history of icons. It was truly lovely and inspirational. I can't wait for our addition to be done, so I will have a place to work on my icons. I have two in the works now, but find it challenging to fing the time to get out all the supplies, get a significant amount of work done, then put it all away. In my new room, I'll get to keep it at the ready, and paint whenever I have a chunk of time.

This lady's name is Solrunn Nes, and she is from Norway. Her perspective of the iconoclast period is quite stunning, as well as the embrace of sacred images since then. I wish I could do more justice to her, her work, and her lecture, but right now I don't have the time to reflect, nor the quiet to think; for now I just want express my joy at being able to hear her lecture and see her icons.

Peace, out. (Any ND fans out there?)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

You've been one, very busy lady! Sounds as though things are of and running to me... *smile*. The subject of iconography seems interesting. May I ask how you came to be involved?

September 13, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

Hey, mama, thanks for visiting! How I got involved with icons is a long story, and one that would make an excellent post. I will work on it and post it this week. It involves a discovery of the Christian East, the desperate pleadings of my heart for something to call my own, and the urge to use my creativity for something worthwhile. It's like 3 freight trains colliding, and BOOOM! The answer is.... iconography. Stay tuned!

September 13, 2005  
Blogger Hope said...

I want to encourage you in your homeschooling...I just finished 15 years of it. All I can say is love your kids. That is the most important. There is no perfect schedule, curriculum, parenting book that will turn it into the perfect experience but it will be your experience and we need to hear one another's journeys. God bless you. I have an essay I wrote about my experience that I would email you if you contact me. I didn't see an email address listed for you otherwise I would have contacted you personally.

September 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home