Friday, October 14, 2005

One of my vacation blessings

While I was on vacation, I had time to read and reflect on a series of spiritual imperatives from a book "The Inner Voice of Love" by Henri J. M. Nouwen. Through him, I have been receiving the tender mercies I have been searching for from those around me. But I don't really have the guts to tell people the real me or listen to their real answers. So in this book, I am finding my voice, as well as the Tender Voice of God in response. I realized I am looking for communion and unconditional love, and I am actually begining to believe My Dear Savior, Jesus Christ, is The One I will lean on, turn to and receive comfort from. He will fill my holes, feed my soul (I mean really, actually, and truly feed my soul, in The Blessed Sacrament), and nurture my heart. He is the Divine Healer, and I can feel His anointing in my soul. Later today, I will post an excerpt from this book, an imperative that opened my eyes and heart. Til then - blessings!

(Please excuse mistakes, no time to proof!)

UPDATE:

Here is the spiritual imperative I was referring to. I bolded the places that I had underlined as I read.

Stop Being a Pleaser

You have to let your father and father figures go. You must stop seeing yourself through their eyes and trying to make them proud of you.
For a long as you can remember, you have been a pleaser, depending on others to give you an identity. You wanted to give your heart to others, and you did so quickly and easily. But now you are being asked to let go of all these self-made props and trust that God is enough for you. You must stop being a pleaser and reclaim your identity as a free self.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

I love Nouwen's work and I haven't read this one. "God is enough for you. I will celebrate the day when that truth gets from my head to my heart.

October 14, 2005  
Blogger mum2twelve said...

Hello Miss 'Not'! :-)
You posted on my blog asking about the prayer I posted. It is lovely, isn't it?
Please feel free to post it. I do not know the author, only that Catholioc flylady, a Yahoo group, sends it out daily to its members. So if you wish to give credit for it, I guess you would give it to them.
Thanks for visiting so often.
Blessings
Christi aka mum2twelve

October 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Nouwen too, doesn't he always have the best insight? Those are wonderful words to live by.......I need to write those on the kitchen chalkboard!

October 15, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa. Now it's my turn to say that that sounds just like me. Thank you for posting it. I deal with that a little bit everyday. And pray to grow out of it a little everyday too. A free self... Amen. Might have to pick up my own book from Nouwen soon. Thanks again. :)

October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home