Monday, June 19, 2006

Celebrating the Resurrection still and always

One of the many things I love about the Eastern Christian tradition is the continual focus on the Incarnation and Ressurection of Our Lord. I want to share with you two of the prayers we sang this past Sunday. No matter what trials, fears, hardships visit me in my life, the continual turning of my voice, heart and soul to the Victory of Christ lifts me, transforms me, comforts me.

These two prayer are part of the "propers" or changable parts of the Liturgy. These are the prayers that are different each week, depending on the feast, season, or other observances.

Troparion




Though the stone had been sealed by the Jews and the soldiers stood guard over Thy most pure Body, O Saviour, Thou didst rise on the third day, granting life to the world. For this the powers of heaven cry out to Thee, O giver of life: Glory to Thy resurrection, O Christ, Glory to Thy kingdom, Glory to Thy providence, Thou who alone lovest mankind.


Theotokian (prayers to and about the Holy Mother of God)

When Gabriel said: Hail to thee O virgin, at the sound of his voice the Lord of all became incarnate in thee, the holy tabernacle, as the just David had foretold. Thou wert shown more spacious than the heavens, because thou didst carry thy Creator. Glory to Him who lived in thee, Glory to Him who came forth from thee, Glory to Him who freed us through thy birth.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. House Mouse said...

Very pretty, and powerful!

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I am praying for you too. Thank you for these...they are lovely. Life can be tender. God be with us all...Amen

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Valerie said...

Showing my naivite here: what language are these prayers sung in? They are beautiful.

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

My favorite is Tone 3 - Let the heavens be glad; let earthly things rejoice; for the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. He hath trampled down death by death; the first-born of the dead hath He become. From the belly of Hades hath He delivered us and hath granted to the world great mercy. (that's not the translation we use, but it's the one I could find online quickly), but you are right, I love all eight.

You call them propers and not tropars? That's interesting.

Happy Tuesday!

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Renee said...

Valerie~ The prayers are sung in English. A generation ago they were sung in Romanian, as that was the language of the people. Now, aside from a few prayers, it is in English.

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Renee said...

Mimi~

We call them tropars as well. I was just relating the term I had used for moveable prayers when I was Roman Catholic. Most the readers here wouldn't know what a tropar meant!

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Cathy said...

Mary,
Is there a way you can make the icons on your icon blog 'enlargeable'?
(Did I just invent a word?)
They are gorgeous!

June 20, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

That makes sense!

I didn't realize your parish had a Romanian background, that's very cool!

June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home