Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chirstmas really is coming!

I am in utter and complete denial that I have only 12 days to get ready for Christmas. I think I will fall back on my insistence that Christmas doesn't end on Christmas day, it just begins. Christmas cards can go out on the day after Christmas. I can send my God children a Frosty Gift card from Wendy's and get that done by tomorrow. I can get one box of decoration out today, and put them up. I can go grocery shopping today, and begin baking tomorrow. This actually sounds doable.

The nice thing is we do not have high expectations to meet here, gift wise. I started a long time ago breaking up the Christmas extravaganza over 3 feast days: St. Nicholas Day, Christmas, and 3 Kings day. The kidlets get a few things each of the 3 days, and lots of group gifts, to keep the clutter down. We have good food, music, and this year, I am allowing the older kids to have their own party. I think they are more excited about that then getting gifts, to be honest.

So, today, I am off to complete a doable amount of preparation, and am determined to go with the day instead of trying to wrestle it to the ground.

May your day be blessed!

(Check out Los Straightjackets Christmas music. Totally gets me in the mood to move)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I did a lot of Christmas shopping online in November, so I only have a few gifts left to buy. We're spending Christmas with my inlaws, so most of my preperations now are of the travel sort!

I like the idea of spreading things out some. Both my and Liam's Birthdays are in December too (mine was the 11th, his is the 28th) so we have a lot to celebrate! It's good to remember that none of the celebrations have to be huge or arduous by themselves, since they add up to so much.

Since we still spend Christmas with extended family, we agreed last year to hold off on exchanging gifts to each other and giving Gui our gifts until Epiphany. It helps remind us that the Christmas season BEGINS at Christmas, cuts down on gitft duplication, takes a little pressure off the checkbook, and lets us take advantage of some great sales!

Hope this time of preparation goes smoothly for you and that this Christmas is a time of blessing!

December 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Sounds like a great plan. I know my older kids would go wild with joy if I let them have their own party! I don't think I'm ready for that yet.:)That's a really good idea to spread out the gift giving. St. Nick's Day is a special day around here too as your godson, Nick, likes to remind us. :) Have a good day. Hopefully you will find time to just sit and do nothing. Love you! ~Heidi

December 13, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

I have everything bought and mostly wrapped, but I haven't even begun to get my cards out. Yikes!
Thankfully, the 12 days start on the 25th, yay!

And, I have a small world story about Los Straighjackets that I can't share online, but I'm glad you are enjoying them.

December 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the active and positive phrasing of your "to-do's." I tend to get stressed when I think about the list of "all the things I have to do today." The majority of the time, most or all of it actually doesn't HAVE to get done that day.

I've had folded and unfolded clean laundry sitting in their baskets for a few days while I've been tackling Christmas cards. Tonight, they're finally done and when the kids go to bed, I'll pop on a movie and fold/put away the clothes. Sure, they'll be a little wrinkled, but who cares? The really nice stuff gets ironed anyway.

Getting back to my point (sorry for the tangent), wording and attitude are so important. I, too, am learning to "go with the day." My plan for the day was to go to TJ's and then the mall to pick up Christmas pix, but around the time I wanted to leave, the kids (esp. G) were just falling apart. So we stayed home today, and it was SO nice and productive! Letting go can be difficult, but it certainly has its rewards. :)

Good luck with your "can-do's!" This is what I try to tell myself: constant re-evaluation. That and, "You need to be a little more *flexible*."

December 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Move" as in dance, or "move" as in if-these-guys-lived-next-door-I'd-be-gone "move"... ? LOL

December 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home