Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Problem of Pain ( I think that title is taken, isn't it?)

Well, again, I don't have much time to elaborate or wax eloquent about life, love and foliage.

I have been reading some good books, awaiting the impeding chicken pox epidemic that will most likely hit our home soon, planting, weeding, eating and drinking LOTS of mint water.

I have been bumping into repetitive themes of suffering and suffering, and suffering and suffering. I have been trying to really let this concept, redemptive suffering, sink in. The older I get, the more it is clear THERE WILL BE SUFFERING. No getting out of it. What can God do with this, why do we have to go through it, and what good can come from it? The perennial question. Once again, as I look through the glass darkly, I see some glimmer of understanding. I am headed off to Divine Liturgy now, to avoid the spread of the potential chicken pox, and I will be praying for the grace to understand, to console, and to love. And to accept my sufferings as God would have me accept them.

Blessings.

***One More Thing*** In the first link on suffering, Jen's post is lovely, but BE SURE to take time to look at the comments. A veritable theological and spiritual FEAST. Don't miss it!!

2 Comments:

Blogger alicia said...

A friend of mine tells a story. She was in the midst of reading the CS Lewis book "The problem of pain" when she had appendicitis and was hospitalized for an emergency appendectomy. She asked her husband to bring her in the book so she could finish reading it during her hospital stay. The young nurse who was caring for her was totally horrified by the title and went above and beyond to be sure that my friend got all the pain medicine possible during her hospital stay.

Dental work, yes, very important. However I strongly suggest that you build up your immune system with echinacea, vitamin C, zinc etc before you have the oral surgery done. Xylitol mouth wash is also a good thing to do in advance. Our gums can harbor a lot of bacteria and the invasive work can release them into the blood stream where they can then go looking for other vulnerable organs. I know that in obstetrics, we see a lot more complications in women who have bad teeth and gum disease. As far as the extraction vs root canal, get an honest opinion from a dentist you trust. I have had 3 extractions and several root canals, and I consulted with my dentist each time for the best option.

June 15, 2008  
Blogger Laura said...

I am not going to offer an words of wisdom here. I don't have any in this area. Sometimes I just don't get "pain." Somehow, in the dark periods of my past life, I can now see the reasons why things had to be so, and they are all good ones. I hope this will be the case with you.
Blessings.

June 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home