Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Things to be grateful for today

I voted. There were lots of people there, also voting. One person at the polling place was breaking the law by wearing a t-shirt with a candidate's name on it, and he was gently but firmly told by the polling judge to go outside and turn his shirt inside out, then he could come back to vote. He did so, and the others in the line thanked him for complying and told him, nicely, that they are glad to be able to make up their own minds about their vote. Very civil, very patriotic, I think.

The weather is scrumptious and I am spending most the day outside. I planted 180 bulbs, so I can have another thing to look forward to in the spring. I planted crocus, daffodils and tulips. I also bought some amyrillus and paperwhites to force inside this winter, and am already anticipating the burst of red and white around Christmas time.

Today is so nice out, we cleaned out our cars and our garage, all ready for the winter.

My husband made me throw out a bunch of clothes, socks and shoes that we no longer needed. I wanted to donate them somewhere, but he was right ~ they were way past their prime and poor people deserve better than our worn out cast offs. What a relief to get these things out of my house!!

I went grocery shopping and they had strawberries, grapefruit and grapes on a big sale. The kids thought it was Christmas!! A fruit feast will ensue today, for sure.

My four year old, who has eaten most of her Halloween candy already, and very little else, asked for "Fruit, vegetables and meat" for lunch. Even a four year old knows when enough is enough.

And we had a very nice dinner this weekend ~ a friend had gone hunting and brought us a turkey. Another friend was harvesting potatoes and gave us some. The roasted turkey and mashed potatoes were delicious and we are thankful for the freely given gifts to us from our friends. I am making a nice, rich turkey soup to give back to our hunter friend in thanks.

And, last, but not least, I found a marvelous pair of maternity pants at Target that fit well and look nice, and that is a terrific thing!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Enjoy!

Barb

November 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When donating, I always ask myself the same thing! :o)

Turkey and mashed potatoes? MMM

November 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add... Eat a grapefruit for me. I LOVE them, but can't have them due to meds for my thyroid. :o(

November 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home