Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Per Request


A request was made for the recipe for "Butternut Bisque", so here it is. I have been making this for years in the fall, and it is definitely one of the traditions of autumn in this family.

2 - 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (some stores sell it this way)
2 Tbsp butter (I add a few Tbsp of olive oil, as well)
2 carrots, sliced (I add 1-2 more)
1 onion, chopped (I add 1 more)
1 stalk celery, chopped (I add 2 more; one stalk of celery looks so lonely)
(not in the original recipe, but I add a clove or two of crushed garlic)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I add 1-2 more)
5-6 cups chicken stock (I often use veggie stock to make this fast friendly)
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
pinch each: nutmeg & ginger (I add more, a few extra pinches for good measure)
sour cream for garnish (I use Greek yogurt)

Melt butter in a large, heavy soup pot; add carrots, onion & celery; saute until soft. Stir the squash & potatoes into the vegetables. Add the stock; bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer, partially covered for 40 minutes. Add curry, nutmeg and ginger. Puree the soup in batches in a blender (I use a hand held blender wand. Worth every penny. Get one if you don't have one).
If you used a blender, return soup to the pot. If you used a hand held blender, no need to make all that mess. Seriously, go get one if you don't have one. Add stock or water if necessary to thin soup. I usually add a little soy sauce now to add a little salty flavor and to deepen the color beautifully.

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream (or Greek yogurt) if you like.

As you can see I add more of everything, and probably use more than the prescribed amount of squash. I just buy one good sized squash, or two smaller ones. I don't measure too much, and I have made this so many times I know what I like. I wrote the original recipe so you, too, can decide how the soup shall be in your own home. This is a versatile recipe, so fiddle around with it a little, and enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Yum. I didn't know that stores sell squash precut, but we get some great squashes in our CSA that this will be perfect for.

I agree, soup recipes are guidelines.

October 29, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks yummy! I can't wait to try this! Thanks, Renee!

October 29, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

This was delicious, Renee! A lot of people ended up trying it, and it got rave reviews! Next time, though, I think I will cheat and get the pre-peeled and cut squash...

November 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home