Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What I am NOT giving up for Lent

This year, as opposed to past years, I am not giving up blogging or closing comments. Mostly, my decreasing stats and comments over the past year has helped me detach from this place anyway, and what communication I have left with folks is very beneficial to me.

I am not giving up meat, either, even though our Eastern Catholic fast calls for it. Being pregnant and soon caring for a newborn, I am exempt from that fast (I need the protein). Nor am I giving up dairy. However, I am going to be making vegan meals for dinner, and get my meat and dairy for breakfast and lunch. That way our family is not ignoring the Great Fast all together.

I am not giving up T.V. The pregnancy insomnia, soon to be followed by many sleep deprived nights, have in the past given me such anxiety. Having an old sitcom to watch, or a news re-run mightily reduces my panic about not sleeping.

I am not giving up sweets either, or coffee. I have no rationalization for this, either. I just am not going to.

So where does that leave me? I have that last few weeks of pregnancy to go, then birth, then the treacherous post-partum period. Plenty of suffering and deprivation there, and mightily fruitful if I orient myself properly. Offering my body, and my blood, my sleep and my comfort for the good of the other. Letting Love conquer fear, and accepting both the blessings and sacrifices offered me by being open to new life. Relinquishing my plans and my control for the reality that, what will happen will happen, and I can not be in charge here. I have given birth many times before, twice before during Lent. There is something quite spiritually rich about joining in the Lenten Offerings with birth giving. A true gift for me to be allowed to do so.

I am also reading and meditating on the Gospel of St. Mark. Unfortunately, I won't be participating in many of the extra services at church, as our priest has taken ill and is the hospital. Prayer for his health and salvation would be much appreciated. So I will be having more time at home to do my Duties of the Moment, to love and to offer myself to my family, and sometimes that is the most difficult thing for me to do willingly and well.

So, there you have it. May it be a fruitful Lent!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a beautiful attitude for Lent - to give up control and offer your body to the miracle of birth. I continue to keep you, the wee one, and your family in my prayers. Sorry to hear Father F. is sick - tell him I'll pray for him, too. See you on Thursday!

Barb

February 24, 2009  
Blogger MamaT said...

Sounds wonderful to me. Last year, when my mother was so very sick, all I could do every day was be with her, run my house, and make it to Mass. It was enough.

God will not be outdone in generosity, and you are being most generous with your whole self. Blessings are, and will be, pouring down on you.

Blessed Lent!

February 25, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Lent, Renee. We'll pray for Fr. Fred and all of you.

February 25, 2009  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That sounds like the best way you can spent your Lent. I too have a Lent baby (he turns 7 next week) so I remember that Lent well. Giving yourself up to what the new baby will require of you is the best thing you can do.
With my prayers for you, your baby, your family and your priest.

February 25, 2009  
Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

I have a lent baby (March 25) and I remember what that year was like! I think you're doing just fine.

February 25, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

I also have a March 25th baby, Elena!

February 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home