Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Imagination

Just a quick note to say just how much I love watching my 10 year old son. He is totally immersed in Star Wars right now, and I have observed him swinging his light saber around, doing daring jumps and flips on the trampoline, all the while so engrossed in his imaginary battle that the real world fades away. I can almost see his imagined battles by the intensity of his actions.

Just now, he came running down the hall with empty trash bags, completing his chore of emptying all the trash cans. He has a cape, his light saber is in a holster, and some old leather boots. He looks remarkably like Obi Wan in the newer movies. He moves through his day on the constant lookout for danger, like a good Jedi should. I love that he feels so free to immerse himself into his imagination, that the lack of self-consciousness allows for such free play.

What a privilege to be able to observe him in his freedom. All the times I question myself about deciding to home educate are mollified by seeing him as he is today. Confident, enthralled, active and just plain old happy. (Please know I am not saying kids educated in brick and mortar schools can not be confident, enthralled, active and plain old happy. I just know this boy, and his particular struggles and tender spots; also, at this very hour he would not be able to play, but would be at a desk.)

that's it. I just wanted to make a note of this day, so I can remember it later.

Blessings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Sniff, sniff. Indeed. Remember those moments

May 26, 2009  
Blogger Tracy said...

Indeed! One needs to cherish these moments on the "bad" days!

May 26, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this picture. The big eyes remind me of you when you were little. What a great description of the freedom of play.

May 27, 2009  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Obi Wan is a seriously good hero to have. And you have a very lucky boy to be able to just "be a kid" when he needs to.

May 27, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

:o)

May 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home