Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother's Day!
In honor of every self-sacrificing mother out there, here is a quote that hit me right between the eyes. Whenever I read this part of the story to my children, I pause. This is the answer to the unsettling hesitation I have about the costs of mothering. I see my body, so changed by the process of carrying and birthing eight children. I see the hesitation to endure whatever the future has in store. I see the fear of "losing myself" amidst the constant daily demands. I see the desire, and yet am fearful, of becoming real.

*****************************************

"What is REAL?" asled the Rabbit one day. Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
The only toy that was kind to the Rabbit was the Skin Horse. The Skin Horse had lived in the nursery longer than any of the others, and he was very wise.
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens when a child loves you. It takes a long time. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, you get loose in the joints, and very shabby."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse. "But when you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
The Rabbit sighed. He longed to become Real, and yet the idea of growing shabby was rather sad. He wished that he could become Real without uncomfortable things happening to him.

from "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.
*****************************************

And I offer a sincere prayer of thanksgiving to the Heavenly King, Consoler, the Spirit of Truth; Who is in all places and sees all things; Treasury of blessings, and Giver of Life, for granting me the gifts of my children, and the many opportunities to become REAL.

And to all the Mothers reading, and to all the women who mother other people's children, and to all the women who care for others and give of themselves, Happy Mother's Day, and may God grant you many years in peace, health and happiness.


(adapted from Mother's Day, 2005)

**UPDATED TO ADD**

I have put this post up on Mother's Day for four years now. This is the first time I have had to edit the number of children I have birthed, from seven to eight. You have no idea how happy it made me to be able to do that today. I have to say, as the years go by, and the children grow and are added to my life, I am quite a bit less hesitant about becoming real. After this last birth, my body is even more "shabby". And I care quite a bit less than I used to. I think I am more real now than I was last year, and the more real I get, the more real I want to be.

It is also my son's seventh birthday today, and last night we went out Dairy Joy, for corn dogs, cheese fries and shakes. I felt a little hesitant, thinking this wasn't good for my figure (or lack thereof), and my wise 14 year old daughter said to me "Life first, figure second. Have fun!" So I did.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Not only am I a little shabby, I have things that buzz inside of me and a few stick out handles as well! ROFL.

What a lovely tribute to moms. Glad your day felt special! :o)

I'm considering the wise words of the 14 year old...

May 11, 2009  
Blogger Tracy said...

Ditto Mother Mayhem! lol

This is a beautiful tribute to motherhood, to love in general, and to the blessing of a child's love.

May 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home