Friday, June 05, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday

So, yeah, it's been a whirlwind around here. Some notable events:

1. My ex-baby just turned 5. It was just one year ago I wrote "Turning Point", when she turned 4. I certainly didn't expect to be granted the gift of new life during this year, and be holding a two month old as my "baby" turned 5. What a difference a year makes!

2. My eldest son is home from school for the summer. We went on a mini-family vacation to pick him up half-way, and had a delightful weekend at a hotel with a pool. I even bought a new swimsuit, and baby had her first experience in a pool (except, of course, for the pool in which she was born).

3. My gardens are exploding. I hope to get photos today, and then you'll see how much bigger everything is since the last time I shared photos. The weeds are making a valiant effort to take over. I went out and purchased seven pairs of leather gloves, so all the kids except the baby can assist in the battle. We will conquer, but it takes perseverance, fortitude, and diligence to stay on top of the weeds. Every time I weed, I am reminded of the weed/vice parallel, and how virtue needs exactly the same perseverance, fortitude and diligence to survive. With God, all things are possible!

4. I finally had my postpartum check up. All is well, including my blood pressure and hemoglobin. My body has recovered quite well from the pregnancy and birth, except for my waist, which seems to have retired. Oh well, I didn't need it for anything, anyway.

5. We planned a picnic lunch with our fellow co-op family for the up-coming Tuesday, and that will be the official last day of school. My 4 youngest will do a page of math a day to avoid back sliding, and they will read everyday for the same reasons, but after Tuesday, I am free!!

6. We began our summer schedule this week for the cleaning and laundry. This way we can tweak it and make it realistic before summer really begins. So far, I am very encouraged. I think it will work, and we all should finish our daily chores before lunch, and then have the rest of the day free, all summer. Now to prepare a few menus and shopping lists, and we'll be set for relaxation and fun!

7. We implemented a new computer program that times the children's log in. The parents set the boundaries of available hours of operation, as well as allowed minutes. The program automatically logs the child off when their time is up. I LOVE THIS. No more trying to remember who gets how many minutes, no more sneaking computer time. What a load off my shoulders, and now my teens won't spend their entire summer in front of a computer screen. Of course they hate it, and think their summer is ruined. That's how I know we are doing something right, when I am accused of ruining their lives. Score one for the parents.

More at Conversion Diary.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Ooh, neat software! I need something like that.

(Hello there, found you at Jen's. :) Have a happy weekend!)

June 05, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I am impressed. With it all!

In anticipation of the computer struggles that lay ahead - and are beginning to show themselves - with my 8 year old, I'd love to know what that program is and where you got it!

June 05, 2009  
Blogger This Heavenly Life said...

I'm impressed too! You seem so organized...how much do you charge for consulting? ;)

I'm fairly organized in lining out the days for my kids, but when confronted with a task for myself? LAZY bones. Without organization for myself, I fail. :::sigh:::

June 05, 2009  
Blogger Simple Faith and Life said...

I LOVED your comment about your waistline. Too funny.

Sounds like you all are doing great. Have a wonderful summer!

June 06, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Renee! I just need your email - for some reason it's not in my contacts list! I want to invite you to my private blog.

Alexa

June 07, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh. Never mine. I found it here! LOL
You'll be invited by mail.

June 07, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

I always set the timer on the stove for Emily. :o)

Waist? You still have one? Chuckle.

I only had one baby, and my belly sits on my lap whenever I sit down.

June 08, 2009  
Blogger Anne Marie said...

GOOD FOR YOU! way to stick to your guns without carrying a loaded gun!
it's already cocked and ready!


what can i say...rough morning here....i even think the 12 yr. old is taking a nap today (lol)

June 08, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

Fantastic computer program indeed!

And, whoooot, good things in your house!

June 08, 2009  
Blogger LizzieD said...

Hi, just came over from Alexa's link - I love the sound of the software too - PLEASE let us know what it is!! I know the mum of a family with 6 boys who would love it, I'm sure - hope it's available in the UK!

As for Mother Mayhem's comment, all I can say is ditto!!! lol
God Bless,
Elizabeth.

June 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home