Friday, July 02, 2010

Cutie

Well, I haven't come to any conclusions regarding this space, but I have a few things I do not want to forget, so I must jot them down.

One is a peculiar habit Melanie has that is starting to decrease. When she was much younger (she is already 15 months old!) and she liked something, she would do a slow, tight blink. This became a sign of approval, a sing of affection, and then, while she would nurse, she would gaze up at me and blink, slowly, deliberately, and it seemed to indicate all was quite right with the world.

Now that Melanie can communicate her pleasure (or lack thereof) in other ways, she doesn't do this as much. However, whenever anyone here does it to her, and she agrees, "all is right", she returns the gesture. I hope this one sticks, I really do.

The other little cute thing that has surprised me, is how much Melanie does and understands. I know I have had 15 month olds before, and they also did these things, but it has been a while, and now the wonder is all new for me.

Melanie toddled out of her bedroom this morning, carrying a pack of diaper wipes, and then sat down and waited politely to be changed. After changing her diaper, I tossed the dirty one in the trash in my room. She went over, plucked the diaper out of the trash, and took it to the diaper pail in her room. She picks out her clothes, she brings people her shoes when she wants to go outside, and when she falls down, she brings her open hand over to me to brush off the dirt. All very typical, as far as babies go, but for me, now, immeasurably delightful!

3 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

All very sweet and worth remembering!

July 02, 2010  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Awww! Quite the little communicator, in her own way. Enjoy every bit of this time (sounds like you definitely are!)

July 02, 2010  
Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

So very sweet. It's amazing how you forget all those little things. So good to jot them down so they don't fade away.

July 05, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home