Monday, August 02, 2010

The flip side

So, today was my birthday. And, true to the pattern of my life, full of things I had to do. But through God's grace, and probably many intercessory prayers from you all, I felt a deep satisfaction with my duties this day.

Things I love about the kids at exactly the ages they are:

My eight year old son, pounding rocks with a little sledge hammer, just for fun.
My 12 year old son, very quickly and efficiently completing his assigned tasks for the day, with a smile and cheerfulness that is a lesson to me.
My 17 year old son, tenderly caring for his one year old sister. And true maturity when dealing with the school scheduling. A long story, but he impressed my so very much.
My 10 year old daughter, being so brave as she had 3 teeth pulled today, and offering her fear and pain for the salvation of souls
My 15 year old daughter, obviously excited and delighted when choosing her school uniform today, and proudly wearing the hoodie from her new school.
My 14 year old daughter, same thing, plus her encouragement to her sister that they will fit in just fine when school begins.
My oldest three, 17, 15, 14, coming home from cross country practice, rosy faced, tired, exhilarated, and proud of the ability of their bodies. Such health!!
My 6 year old daughter, saying to me, "I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you so much!!!"
The baby, sweet, climbing, smiling, babbling, endearing and adding such joy to our lives.

It would be a crime if I failed to embrace these blessings and consolations, and let the weariness of life snuff out the joy. Praise God for all His mercies!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Adrienne said...

Praise and Thanksgiving is so beautifully expressed in your post! How wonderful your daughter offered the pain and suffering of her extractions - I'm sure God is so pleased. I've been reminded many times during spiritual direction from our Ukrainian Pastor that our daily duties done with joy please God even more than heroics. I suppose that could be interpreted as heroics in place of our daily duties as Wife and Mother, first. I have learned more from The East than I ever did in 53 years of Western thinking. God is good and wants us to do His Will. You sound like a terrific Mom! Your family is Blessed to have you, too.

August 03, 2010  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

A belated but fervent Happy Birthday greeting - God grant you and your family Many Years !

August 03, 2010  
Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

I had forgotten that we share a birthday! Happy birthday to you!

Many blessings to you now and always. And many happy returns of the day.

August 03, 2010  
Blogger Hope said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

August 03, 2010  
Anonymous heidi said...

Renee, you are such an inspiration to me! Thank you for marrying my brother! Love you!!!

August 03, 2010  
Anonymous Aileen said...

I think this would be an awesome exercise to try to do regularly, like Small Successes!

It's easy to get bogged down by the negatives and frustrated by the little annoyances/transgressions that add up throughout the day. If we could take a step back and think of just one positive attribute of/encounter with each child that day, I think it would be really beneficial!

Simple, but brilliant! Thanks, Renee!

PS. Why don't you live closer?!?! :)

August 03, 2010  
Blogger owenswain said...

And, as you fulfil your vocation, God bless your flip side as well :)

August 03, 2010  
Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

Happy Birthday and enjoy every moment! Many blessings on a new year!

August 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home