Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Opening Prayer of the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom


Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, now, and always and forever and ever. Amen.

Now, you have to be there to FEEL it. The priest sings, blesses, there are candles, incense, and the entire congregation responds with a sung Amen. It's big, and the senses are engaged!

Immediately following this opening is this petition.
Notice the last prayer in the petition :

For to Thee is due all glory, honor, and adoration, to the Father and the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and always, and forever and ever. Amen.

One thing to note. Every time the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are mentioned during Liturgy, the congregation makes a reverant sign of the cross. Every time. It becomes almost like breathing after a while. Lovely.

(photo found at this site)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Renee! I did another one...but I made a mistake on the "description"...won't fix it unless you want the template. Let me know!
God bless.
(I ain't no saint neither, dearie! :-)

here's the address:

http://marypoppinsnot.blogspot.com/

January 17, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

I automatically crossed myself on the opening....must be something mystical in that......thanks for sharing that beautiful prayer.

January 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so blessed that you are sharing this with us. Like Ayeka said, after reading your comments in my blog and seeing this picture i had an amazing urge to bow and make the sign of the cross as I was reading the begining of your post. What beautiful and rich tradition!

January 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home