Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Why I love my Church






We had a frightening experience here the other day. I didn't blog about it earlier because I was still so upset.

Our nearly two year old ingested some mineral spirits. How? After working on a project, a container was left in her reach. Why? I don't know. I saw it there. I made mental notes to move it. But I didn't. And then she found it.

After a frantic poison control call, and lots of gut wrenching "watch and wait", she appeared to be fine. But the next morning she threw up, and smelled strongly of mineral spirits from her breath. There was no coughing, which is the biggest danger. Apparently, if she had aspirated any, she would get pneumonia, and that would be serious.

At this time in the morning, my husband was going to daily Liturgy. I was a little afraid to have him go. What if she suddenly got worse? He assured me he would stay in contact, and that he would pray for her healing, and my spirit to be soothed.

After Liturgy, my husband called and said Father was coming over to give the baby and I communion, for the healing of soul and body together.

When Father got here, he had also brought anointing oil, and said this lovely prayer over her while anointing her head and hands:

"Lord Jesus Christ, who entered into this world as a child and who, althought You were God, subjected Yourself to Your eartly parents: bless Your child, N. We beseech You, look with favor upon her and Your great and unmeasurable love grant her relief for her pain. Send Your angel from heaven to guard, cherish and protect Your child who is sick at such a tender age. Restore her to health so that she may reach the fullness of years and serve You gratefully all the years of her life. For You are the Physician of our souls and bodies and to You we give glory, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen."

And then he gave her communion, gave me communion, and we all settled down in a great peace.

My little one improved all day long, and after consulting with a doctor, we were told she was reacting in a very healthy was to such an assault on her system.

So, there you have it. A near tragedy, fear, and guilt. Christ laying His hand on us through His church, healing our fear, and being present to us in such an intimate way. *sigh*. God is so good!

5 Comments:

Blogger glorybe said...

That was incredible! What a beautiful miracle! Thanks be to God!

I try to tell people that you can see miracles and God's power and love in the sacraments, but they don't always believe me. I would love to share your story as proof.

I am so glad your precious daughter is doing fine. God bless!

May 10, 2006  
Blogger Mary Poppins NOT said...

I believe the sacraments have great power. I don't know if my daughter would have been alright without the anointing and communion, but what I DO know, is we would have been spiritually and emotionally much weaker. I have been equally gratified by my daughter's health, and the loving care of my church. We truly are not alone!!

May 10, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Amen! I also agree with your comment.

God is Good. Thanks be to God.

May 10, 2006  
Blogger :o) said...

What a scary incident, yet you turned to God so beautifully. I'm glad your little miss is ok.

May 10, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

Oh, Renee, that made me feel so tearful reading about your little one, and then reading about the sensitivity of your priest to the situation. Thanks be to God for your little ones recovery!

Praise God!

May 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home