Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Cup of Life


The Cup of Life

"When the mother of James and John asks Jesus to give her sons a special place in his Kingdom, Jesus responds, "Can you drink the cup that I am going to drink?" (Matthew 20:22). "Can we drink the cup?" is the most challenging and radical question we can ask ourselves. The cup is the cup of life, full of sorrows and joys. Can we hold our cups and claim them as our own? Can we lift our cups to offer blessings to others, and can we drink our cups to the bottom as cups that bring us salvation?

Keeping this question alive in us is one of the most demanding spiritual exercises we can practice."

This is from the daily meditation from the Henri Nouwen Society. The illustration is from my daughter, after I asked the children to help me get in my daily walks so that I could be in a better mood. This illustration was on the white board when I returned from said walk.

Busy, busy week, with yet another birthday and upcoming Mother's Day, and lots of end of the school year details to wrap up. I am so grateful for the reminder to lift my cup and offer a blessing to others, and keep drinking from the cup of salvation.

Blessings to you all!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for the encouragement. I love the illustration by your daughter!

May 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers!

May 09, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

CUTE! Thanks for reminding me to take a walk today. I hear the birdies chirping...do you s'pose they are calling me? Happy almost Mother's Day to you, btw.

May 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home