Tuesday, May 22, 2007

warning... this post makes no sense unless you have lots of girls in your home

So now my baby is three years old. My fourth 3 year old girl. Three year old girls are a unique creation. It's like they go from 2 to 12 over night. Strong willed, independent, argumentative, and bossy. But the big difference is at three, they are still oh so cute and chubby. And they are still small enough to be physically picked up and put in bed, or in the corner, or in a chair.

Three year old girls also change clothes a million times a day, and have very strong opinions about what they want to wear, what shoes go with the outfit, and what sort of clip ought to go in her hair.

Three year old girls hardly eat anything in one sitting. And they don't like food they used to love. And they have a terrific pout.

I don't mean to be so negative, but I have already been through 3 other girls, and I am not kidding myself about what I am up against this year.

Also in my experience, three year old girls with clear and enforced boundaries are sweet, cheerful and very energizing. When expectations for their behavior are clearly stated, they strive to please. When given a new task, they devour it with relish, and want more. They notice so many new things about their world, and they are very generous with sharing their insights. Bugs, birds and flowers are the new thrill around here, and it gets me excited all over again about the world I live in.

At three years old, the little ones are aware of their own autonomy, and it thrills and scares them. At twelve years old, I think it is a repeat of that awareness. At this time I have both a three year old daughter and a 12 year old daughter. And I am moving towards 41 years old, which has it's own set of awarenesses to deal with. Between us, and the seven and 11 year old daughters (both a very "sensitive" age), my poor boys haven't a chance around here. And the hormones haven't even begun to flow to full capacity yet. It makes my head spin!

As I type this, my 11 year old daughter just came stomping down the hallway, arms crossed, went to her room and slammed the door. I guess I better stop my reflections on the moods of the girls around here, and go deal with the moods around here. Toodles!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

It's not so much that I'd be disappointed if #6 is a girl...and I am very happy to have daughters and very happy that my daughters have a sister. But, I think two girls is sufficient. Really. I told my husband we could have ten more...but boys, please.

May 22, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

In many ways I can agree with Michelle. I have 3 girls...OMgoodness! Just last night, on a school night, I smelled popcorn at 12:00am (almost) came downstairs...(the aroma seeping through that air vent was their dead give-a-way) and caught one hiding under the covers acting like she was asleep and the other hiding at the
foot of the bed with the tv quickly turned off and the lights as they heard my footsteps from above.
Once again..the dead give away ...the big ol bowl of popcorn sitting on the floor in front of the tv (monster). They were watching a PG-13 moving that was "not all that bad...just a wee little rough language, Mom" while their 13 yr. old brother was asleep upstairs because I told the 20 yr. old not to bring those films home in the first place so she wouldn't waste her money....on and on.
Well, a screamin fight began between the 20 yr. old and myself while the 17 yr. old fleed the room. Oh, do we need to have a talk....a much more calmer and quiet one! So, girls are um, lets say a bit on the sneaky side too.
One thing about boys..they are often not sneaky...just out there with their nonsense..its all tough sometimes,Mom. Prayers, please! :)
Thanks!

May 23, 2007  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

LOL! I have only one daughter, and two boys...I have to say that she has always been much more of a challenge. She's 11 now, and I've put her 3-year-old days far behind me.

But this morning I am babysitting my neighbor's 3 year old girl for a few hours, and EVERYTHING in your post rings true for her. She's a real hoot and I am enjoying this morning.

May 23, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Peri-menopause, puberty and a three year old. I am in awe of you!

What was that about a spinning head again? LOL

May 23, 2007  
Blogger erin said...

I remember my dad making jokes about how we needed an estrogen vent on the roof of our house when I was a kid. Funny to hear this from a mother's perspective...I grew up BEING the crazy/strong-willed/hormonal one. :-)

May 23, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

As the mom of four young ladies, one of which is now 10 months old, I completely understand.

The thing is... my son is a lot like that too. Always changing his clothes, never eating, but he seems to be, well, rather MORE headstrong than any of my girl's ever were!

Thank God, He blesses us moms and helps to keep us on our toes!!

May 23, 2007  
Blogger Kristen Laurence said...

Amen!

June 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home