Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother's Day!
In honor of every self-sacrificing mother out there, here is a quote that hit me right between the eyes. I was reading this to my almost three year old daughter, and when I came to this part, I paused. This is the answer to the unsettling hesitation I have about the costs of mothering. I see my body, so changed by the process of carrying and birthing seven children. I see the hesitation to endure whatever the future has in store. I see the fear of "losing myself" amidst the constant daily demands. I see the desire, and yet am fearful, of becoming real.

*****************************************

"What is REAL?" asled the Rabbit one day. Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
The only toy that was kind to the Rabbit was the Skin Horse. The Skin Horse had lived in the nursery longer than any of the others, and he was very wise.
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens when a child loves you. It takes a long time. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, you get loose in the joints, and very shabby."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse. "But when you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
The Rabbit sighed. He longed to become Real, and yet the idea of growing shabby was rather sad. He wished that he could become Real without uncomfortable things happening to him.

from "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.
*****************************************

And I offer a sincere prayer of thanksgiving to the Heavenly King, Consoler, the Spirit of Truth; Who is in all places and sees all things; Treasury of blessings, and Giver of Life, for granting me the gifts of my children, and the many opportunities to become REAL.

And to all the Mothers reading, and to all the women who mother other people's children, and to all the women who care for others and give of themselves, Happy Mother's Day, and may God grant you many years in peace, health and happiness.


(adapted from Mother's Day, 2005)

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

Happy Mother's Day, you real woman, you!

May 13, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

What a special gift you have offered to us...I can only hope and pray that your day is beautiful and say that I too am grateful for God's gift of our children. I was blessed to be able to take up an entire pew with my husband, myself, our married couple adult children, three other children at home and three little grandboys! I was also well aware that my angel in Heaven was right there with us and wore and angel pin to represent his
little presence too! What a morning! God bless you and real,well, its REAL, what can we say?!!! :)

May 13, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, MPN!

May 13, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

I hope you had a lovely day MPN! Blessings to you and yours!

May 14, 2007  
Blogger erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 14, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Let's see...
Shabby... Check
Loose jointed... Check
Hair loved off... Check

I think I'm REAL!

Thank you so much for sharing this delightful insight with us!

Happy Mother's Day!

May 14, 2007  
Blogger Rosemary said...

What a very beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it!

May 14, 2007  
Blogger Kitty said...

Hapy Mother's Day, Renee! We just read the Velveteen Rabbit, too. It just makes me cry. Your post linking it to motherhood is beautiful.

May 17, 2007  
Blogger Anne said...

happy belated mothers day reeree, and loved revisiting the velveteen rabbit with that quote. love to catch up sometime.

God bless you mamma!

May 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home