Thursday, June 14, 2007




What a lovely morning I have had so far! Last evening, I had the best dinner out with my mom, all my brothers and their wives, my husband and my brother who celebrated his birthday yesterday. I was so contented when we got home that I went to bed at a reasonable hour, and thus woke at around 6:30 this morning. It is going to be hot again today, so I spent about an hour watering my flowers, checking my garden for progress and just enjoying the sounds and smells of a lovely late spring morning.

Then, I came in and just looked at my sleeping children. My oldest boy, nearly 14, still shows the little chub I used to have, but only when he is asleep. During the day, the little boy is mostly hidden. But this morning, I could see him at 3 years old, at 7 years old, and strangely, what he'll look like at 20 years old. There is something so mysterious about the sleeping face.

Then on to my 12 year old daughter. Soundly asleep in her typical caddywhompus way - legs bent up as if she were sunbathing, arms askew. She has slept like that since she was itty-bitty, and I remember trying to straighten her out, thinking she looked very uncomfortable. This morning I don't even touch her, barley making any noise at all, because I don't want her to wake up and wonder what I am doing, staring at her in her sleep.

On to the boys room. They are awake early, too, but have such sweet sleepy faces I just have to stay awhile in their room and have a quiet conversation about the wonderful sleep they just had, and what might be good to have for breakfast. Now they are already out riding their bikes, as the other children still sleep.

The little girls' (not little, but 11 and 7) room is half empty, as the 11 year old is staying with cousins this week. My seven year old is sleeping in her older sister's bed, to feel less alone.

On to my room. I get the pleasure of my littlest daughter coming in every morning around 3:00 am. A whispered, "Mom, can you scoot over, please?" alerts me to her presence as she climbs over me and settles in. She is like a little puppy, melding into my very form, and no matter where I move, she scoots into me. After I get up, she sleeps quite a bit longer, and she still looks like a baby.

I used to feel put out when the little one's would come in my bed. I didn't sleep as well, and woke stiff and sore. I would always let them because I felt they needed it, but I didn't realize I needed it. Now I do. I need those sweet hours of quiet closeness. I need their closeness to be so absorbed by me that when they are all grown and gone, I can still feel it.

After all that, I went into my icon studio and practiced mixing my paint for the flesh tones. I used to buy them from another iconographer, but now I am going to mix my own. It went well, and I am one step closer to being ready for my class. Glancing out my window, I could see my St. Francis statue, my shade garden, the blue and mirrored decorations I have in the woods to reflect light, and I just had the most complete sense of satisfaction. My icon studio is my haven. My icons, candles and incense remind me to pray when ever I am in there. My children are all close, safe, and comfortable. I am working on my icon writing skills, after spending time in my garden, and have a steaming mug of coffee and a biscotti sitting next to me. My dear husband comes in just then so say goodbye as he heads off to work. A soft kiss, a tight hug, and he is off. I just cannot think of anything that is missing from my life at this time. Thank you, dear Lord, for this consolation, this lifting of the veil to show me just exactly how well loved I am.

Thank you for all your gifts and blessings, and for assisting my in my daily struggle with moments like these. Your abundance overwhelms me!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

I loved this little picture on a beautiful morning in your life. Blessings all through your day....

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

BEAUTIFUL!

June 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reflection on your beautiful morning :-)

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

What a richly blessed life you have! What a wonderful morning--it sounded like something out of Beatrix Potter for some reason.

I agree about a sleeping face as well. It shows something you can't see when they are awake.

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

What a lovely description of your wonderful family !
God bless you all richly :-)

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

Sigh. It was lovely to be in your morning through your words!

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

that was a lovely beginning to your day. How nice you take the time to appreciate each and every one of your children.

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Saint Maker said...

Oh how sweet your family is. I especially loved the part about your youngest getting into bed with you! We get a visitor in the wee hours every morning as well. I seem to wake up if she does not show up and long for her. She is such a sweetie, we jokingly call her 'our room mate'
God bless you and your lovely family!
Peace,
Judy

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

MPN...Have you seen the coffee mugs that have that beautiful piece of art of the mother and child in bed? The mother is cuddled with the child pretty much as you described and looking at her and there is a side-table nearby? I have that on my coffee mug and I love it, because like you, I treasured those days...not always either, but for the most part if I got any sleep at all, I loved it and I still miss it!
Thanks for sharing your morning with us and not hoarding all to yourself! :) God bless!

June 15, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

Yes, thank you Lord! Praises!

June 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beauty, tranquility, contentment, love. The abundant life. What a beautiful post.

June 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home