Friday, March 06, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday


--1--

Baby edition 7 Quick Takes over at Jen's Place. Maybe next week I'll have my own. Maybe the week after that. Or the week after that. Ughh. I hate this part of pregnancy. I still feel pretty darn good, but my emotional health is less so. When will the baby be born? (I have been anywhere from 8 days early to exactly on the due date). How long will it take? (I have had long and short labors). Good birth, or complicated? (I have had all non-complicated births so far). Postpartum hemorrhage or not? (I have had this twice out of seven). Nursing difficulties, or smooth sailing? (I have had both). Calm baby, or fussy baby? (I have had both). Postpartum depression, or not? (I have had difficulties in this area a few times, once pretty badly). Dark haired girl, or blond haired girl? (I have 2 of each, currently).

--2--

Even though midwives are supposed to see pregnancy and birth as a normal occurrence in a woman's life, mine seem to be assuming that at any minute something is going to go terribly wrong, and I don't know why. It is starting to undermine my confidence in this pregnancy, the closer I get to the actual birth, and that is making me rather upset. This has been a good and healthy pregnancy. Is it my age? Is it past experiences that are guiding the attitude? What? They had me do a non-stress test yesterday, after a perfectly normal appointment. Not a big deal, really, and it was all very good results, but the specter of concern and worry was thick at the appointment, and I really have no idea why. Getting on my nerves, I tell you!!

--3--

We have had a slew of people close to us experience serious health concerns this past week. Thanks be to God that in each case, there has been astounding progress in their recoveries, and in each case, the prognosis is so much improved over where we were a week ago.

--4--

I can sense a growing apprehension around my house. I think the very near arrival of a new baby is adding a happy anxiety that is making people a little agitated and tired. My youngest daughter is clinging to me like crazy, kissing me all day long, and telling me she loves me and wants to sleep with me forever. As much as she is looking forward to meeting her new sister, I think she is a little worried about what it will feel like to get bumped. The older two are a little worried about how much responsibility will fall on them. The middle kids are wondering if Mom will ever be her old self (she won't). So this transition is coming, and while it is a joyful one, holds a bit of trepidation for us all.

--5--

Another beautiful 60 degree day today. I am opening up the windows, and packing up and giving away half my maternity clothes (the ones I don't ever want to wear again). I am going to fill and take 4 bags to Goodwill today (from my room and my boys room, both of which have way too many clothes). And I am going organized my mudroom because I just got a new shelving unit for that room. And then I am going to go outside and enjoy the weather.

--6--

I have been reading a book I found at the thrift store, Death on a Friday Afternoon by Fr. Richard John Neuhaus. Fabulous book, and may he rest in peace! I probably won't get through it all this Lent, as it is so packed with profound reflections, I would do the book an injustice to rush through it. Highly recommended.

--7--

**blush** I still have some Christmas decoration outside, and that will also be on the agenda today. All winter type decor is getting put away today. Finally.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny about the 60 degree weather. I just lokked at ours and saw no rain for today and about 60 degrees. And I thought to myself,"So it'll still be kinda cold out." I've turned into a CA wimp!

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

How exciting to be so close to meeting your baby! I had 3 pphemorrhages and an equal number of ppanxiety issues (probably not a coincidence, huh?) I will be praying for you!

God Bless,
Jane

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Stina said...

I'm so sorry the midwives are causing concerns. I'm due a few days after you, so I know how much we want this time of waiting to be joyful and as worry free as possible. I'm also dealing with "family anxiety" especially with my almost 2 yr old. Prayers for you and your family.

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

Renee,
Holding you close in prayer in these last few days! Much love,

March 06, 2009  
Blogger ukok said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, i am so sorry that close relatives/friends have been sick, thanks be to God that things are settling down for them. What a bummer for your midwife to be putting a downer on things. You have enough children to know your own mind and your own body so please allow yourself to be joyful and anticipating your dear baby's arrival without a gloomy shadow hanging over head.

keeping you and your little one in prayer.

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Kaycee said...

I just stopped by from Conversion Diary, congrats on the new baby. The last few weeks were my least favorite part too.

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh bah, I can't believe that impression is being given to you. Ugh. You own childbirth, my friend :)

And, prayers for all. Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy. And a big hug too. Enjoy the sun!

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

It'd be nice for them to voice their concerns instead of skirting the issue. Especially since you are so near to the birth.

Praying for a healthy delivery and a healthy baby. Not a cliche. You know how much I mean that. HUGS

Oh, and I hope that the baby is bald. That way you'll have a little bit more to anticipate once she's here! LOL

March 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home