Saturday, May 07, 2005

Happy Mother's Day!

In honor of every self-sacrificing mother out there, here is a quote that hit me right between the eyes. I was reading this to my almost three year old son, and when I came to this part, I paused. This is the answer to the unsettling hesitation I have about the costs of mothering. I see my body, so changed by the process of carrying and birthing seven children. I see the hesitation to endure whatever the future has in store. I see the fear of "losing myself" amidst the constant daily demands. I see the desire, and yet am fearful, of becoming real.

********************************************************************************

"What is REAL?" asled the Rabbit one day. Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
The only toy that was kind to the Rabbit was the Skin Horse. The Skin Horse had lived in the nursery longer than any of the others, and he was very wise.
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens when a child loves you. It takes a long time. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, you get loose in the joints, and very shabby."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse. "But when you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
The Rabbit sighed. He longed to become Real, and yet the idea of growing shabby was rather sad. He wished that he could become Real without uncomfortable things happening to him.

from "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams.
****************************************************************************

And I offer a sincere prayer of thanksgiving to the Heavenly King, Consoler, the Spirit of Truth; Who is in all places and sees all things; Treasury of blessings, and Giver of Life, for granting me the gifts of my children, and the many opportunities to become REAL.

And to all the Mothers reading, and to all the women who mother other people's children, and to all the women who care for others and give of themselves, Happy Mother's Day, and may God grant you many years in peace, health and happiness.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

precious. i love the velveteen rabbit. this affected me today because i am feeling more *real* than i ever have. i guess i've been a good mommy afterall. thanks for a sweet blog!

May 08, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, thank you for the quote. It was a wonderful reminder all day. Hope you had a lovely day. :)

May 09, 2005  
Blogger Valerie said...

Can you believe, with six children 10 and under and homeschooling for four years, I STILL HAVE NEVER READ THIS STORY??? Gotta go pull it out! :0)

May 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A classic story, that. Yes, so beautifully adapted to motherhood. Thanks Renee!

May 09, 2005  
Blogger Julie said...

What a great quote. Now I'm all teary and mushy. Happy belated Mother's Day!

May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home