Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Piece of History

BEFORE




Sad news today. Remember the parties I have talked about, the ones at my brother's farm in his old, beautiful barn? Last night the old, venerable barn burned down, for reasons unknown. My poor brother and his family are so sad ~ they had so many dreams for the barn, and we were about to have our first annual Barn Sale and Art Fair there in two weeks. The kiddos lost all their bikes, balls, scooters and my mom lost all the antiques she had stored there. We all were just there on Sunday, to celebrate 2 First Holy Communions, and 2 birthdays.

We have had all our Fourth of July parties and Labor Day parties there for the past 6 years. We have had barn dances, costume parties and many other family gatherings there. It's so sad for our entire extended family.
AFTER:

The most sadness comes to my dear sister in law, who felt so connected to the magnificent past of the farm by being in the barn. She was active in barn restoration and preservation, and now she has no barn. Here are her words:




Our historic barn, the Na-Da Farm barn, has burnt down to the ground. It is a pile of ash and rubbish. No descriptive word comes to mind to explain to you all how we are, nothing I can say can have you all understand the history that we felt; the connection we had with the past, through that barn. I appreciate all of your kind words, they don't go unnoticed; but really, we are just shocked, sad, and well...it just doesn't look like Na-Da Farm anymore.


Thank you all for your support, concern, and I know we will all miss that barn, that landmark, that part of history that became part of who we are and what we do. It brought families together, it helped celebrate many occasions....like my beloved husband said as soon as I saw the devastation..."It's a clean slate now...now we will rebuild our own history- together."


They are already experiencing trouble with their insurance company, so they are in for a long, sad haul. If you could remember them in your prayers, I would appreciate it greatly.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Renee, I am so sorry for your brother and sister-in-law's loss of the barn. This is a terrible thing to happen and yet how inspiring were your brothers words to his dear wife?

I will indeed pray that they may have a smoother ride with the insurance company than it would first appear.

May 24, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

I've got an extra soft spot in my heart for barns. I'm very sorry for the whole family's loss.

May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is really a bummer. I can totally understand the love of that barn and the grief involved in losing it.

I will keep them in my prayers...

Maybe a "barn raising" can be organized to uplift their spirits a bit? Everyone who enjoyed the barn with them could come together with materials and tools...?

Just an idea.

May 24, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Alexa, we have been trying to pull something together like that. It's a huge undertaking, but with perseverance, maybe it's something we can do.

May 24, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

How sad, they indeed have my prayers.

May 24, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Oh dear... I'm so sorry... Keeping them in my prayers! HUGS

May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Renee,
I came over here, for I had a hunch you would post something about the barn, and lo; you have, you sentimental loving sister :)
Thank you for all your kind words, and encouragement. Our dear neighbor has told us we can have her barn that Art's grandfather erected nearly 120 years ago. As relevant radio said yesterday; "...through Pentecost's fire brought light, hope and strength to those who were to follow Him...through fire comes life." Isn't that something; that we would have turned on the radio together to hear those words. God's plan is unknown; but we sure are trying to listen. Bless you for sharing with others a part of our lives that meant so much.
Your sister,
Anne Marie

May 25, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

Oh Lord please restore their barn and fill it to overflowing. And laughter once more. Sooner rather than later in Your Mercy.

May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sad thing to happen. I'm sure it will be rebuilt and tho' it will not be the same thing, what was important was not the building your family gatherings took place in, but that your family is very close knit. For a while you will gather beneath the blue sky, where there's room for everyone and then more. And then when the new barn is up, you'll again have a cosy place to gather in.

May 26, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

I'm so sorry. I hope they can find something to fill the gap this incident has left for them.

May 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home