Friday, August 28, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday


~1~

I can. not. believe it is Friday again already. I am actually ANGRY at how quickly time is flowing by, and me barely noticing because I am flitting from one child's needs to another to another.

~2~

First week of school roundup. It was alright. We got up on time, ate breakfast, and got math done. And it wore us all out. My eldest began his community college classes (for dual high school and college credit) this week, and his speech and debate. The other kids all started their choir. We kept the cleaning and laundry and menu planning on track.

~3~

Sounds great, doesn't it? But I shudder to think that I have to add in all the other subjects, plus one entire child as one was off fishing with my husband in Canada. Wha--? how--? why--? Yes, that's right, I begin school while my husband is off fishing in Canada. He did deserve the break, but the timing is awful. If this happens in the future, the timing is going to have to be different.

~4~

I did a craft with the 5,7 and 9 year olds this week . I really think it is futile to do crafts with 5 and 7 year olds, although I have done them with all my kids. But really, it is all about crying, disappointment and mommy finishing them off. The 9 year old did just fine, and it seems as if that is the perfect age for meaningful crafts. Same with cooking. I can not cook with my little kids, because my brain starts to smoke. Outside of letting them pour a few things in the bowl, and stirring for a few seconds, it's hands off. Now at 9 years old, that I can handle. By 10 they can cook on their own, so why drag the whole process out for 5 years? Sort of like potty training or reading. I start my kids later and in no time they are caught up to the kids who have been doing it for years. Wisdom or laziness? I report, you decide.

~5~

I also have had a toothache all week, which has led to a headache and jaw pain. I am a doof, because I have a scheduled appointment with the dentist next week, and just put up with this instead of calling this week and having it looked at. Why? I don't know. Mostly I just didn't have time to deal with it, so I have just been taking ibuprofen every 8 hours, and being crabby. My teeth aggravate me.

~6~

The baby has taken a decidedly uncute turn this week. Very demanding. Grunting as soon as she sees me. Chewing me out when I do pick her up or take her from a sibling. Very few smiles. Do you think she noticed that we started school this week, and she no longer has a monopoly on my time?

~7~

Lastly, I had a child with severe stomach pain in the middle of the night. Lower right side. Husband in Canada. Middle of the night. Screaming child. 1 hour solid crying. Husband out of phone contact, even. Quickly check internet for "appendicitis", not encouraged, begin to frantically look for insurance cards. Trying to work out in my mind what I will do, who I will take with me to the E.R., who I will leave in charge, yada yada yada.

Suddenly, said child "expressed" some very stale air, stopped crying, and said he felt much better now. I have never. and I repeat never. been more happy about "expressed stale air" than I was at that moment. Stale air that smelled of peanuts. Come to find out child had ingested "four or six" hands full of peanuts for a snack after lunch. Peanuts, being legumes, did their usual, and thus the middle of the night panic.

Isn't my life GLAMOROUS!? !

More quick takes at Jen's

4 Comments:

Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

"Expressed satle air"... BWAHAHA.

Glad he feels better. ;o)

August 29, 2009  
Blogger Renee said...

I *KNEW* you would like that, MM!!

August 29, 2009  
Anonymous aileen said...

i let my kids help me bake, but i limit the "help" to dumping a cup here, a tsp there, and stirring. (even then, i usually am still holding on to said tsp or measuring cup handle b/c i'm a control freak!)

i've been really laid back with potty training Danny. i thought he'd be ready by 3, but he's still pretty clueless, so we'll wait. he'll figure it out eventually!

sorry to hear about the middle of the night panic attack! i would have been so freaked out, too! glad it resolved itself! :)

August 30, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

I told my Dh and youngest Ds the story of your son and the "stale air" and my Ds said, "that's gross"
Bwhahahahahahahahahaa.
I thought it was funny.

September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home