Saturday, January 08, 2005

My Reading List, 2005

I have seen a few other bloggers set goals for themselves as far as reading goes, and I think that is a terrific idea. So I just perused my bookshelves for some books I was going to read "someday". I keep getting sidetracked by such titles as, "Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum", or "Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth." The only well read books on my shelves concern pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, child-rearing, and homeschooling. So now, I reclaim my reading list, and here are the titles that called out, "CHOOSE ME" the loudest.

To Kill a Mockingbird ----- Harper Lee
Murder on the Orient Express ----- Agatha Christie
The Moviegoer ----- Walker Percy
Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass
Doctor Zhivago ----- Boris Pasternak
A Canticle for Leibowitz ----- Walter M. Miller, Jr
Saint Leibowitz and the Wild
Horse Woman ----- Walter M. Miller, Jr.
Jane Eyre ----- Charlotte Bronte

Now, I give myself permisson to deep six at least one of these, since most of them come from the recommendation of others. If I do eliminate one out of pure bordom, then I will add in the third part of Kirsten Lavansdatter, The Cross, which I started last year and my sweet-love babe was born before I finished. Now I have forgotten many of the names and will have to reinvest alot of time to get reaquainted. Another book that called out to me, but I said, "Not yet", was "Brothers Karamazov" by Tolstoy. Either that or Anna Karanina. They are next to each other on the shelf, so I couldn't tell which one was crying out to me. But I was trying to stay realistic. I have 4 children to homeschool, a pre-schooler, a toddler, an infant, a house to run, and 25 pounds of baby fat to deal with. Realistically, how much reading time am I really going to have?

Of the chosen titles, I have read "A Canticle for Liebowitz", "Jane Eyre", and "Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass. I recently found "Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman" at a thrift store, but have to read "A Canticle.." again first. I have always claimed "Jane Eyre" is my favorite book, but I only read it once, and barely remember it. So I will see if it still deserves the title. I met, dated and became engaged to my husband while I was reading, "The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass", needless to say I don't remember much of it either. So there we go.

Next to decide how to work in a little exercise regularly. We'll see.

5 Comments:

Blogger Philothea Rose said...

Oh Jane Eyre! It certainly deserves your claim of favorite book, in my opinion!

I also LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird and Murder on the Orient Express. Agatha Christie is my favorite mystery writer. I never can figure out the ending, but can with other writers. She's a genuis.

My top three books are Jane Eyre, Little Women, and to Kill a Mockingbird, but not in any order. They are all wonderful. What a great resolution you have!

January 09, 2005  
Blogger rita said...

I'm embarrased to admit, I've never read "Jane Eyre". I'll put it on my list for this year, though! Come to think of it, I don't believe I've read "To kill a mockingbird" either...oh no!! I did read "Anna Karenina" and really liked it. And, of course, I have to agree w/Philothea Rose (and laugh) that Agatha Christie is my favorite mystery writer. I loved "Murder on the Orient Express". Great resolution! You've inspired me!

January 09, 2005  
Blogger Julie D. said...

Murder on the Orient Express is good but can't hold a candle to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd or And Then There Were None ... just in case you need to add any other books to your list (and I'd bet NOT!).

I LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird and both my girls also were surprised to find they enjoyed it when they were forced to read it for school.

As for Jane Eyre ... best of the bunch and I must have read it at least half a dozen times. Rose (14-yr-old) read it this summer and wondered why her compatriots said it was hard to read. She pointed out that it's really just a big soap opera. Yep! That's MY kind of classic. :-)

January 10, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

What I remember from Jane Eyre is that unlike so many of the passive, frail, victimized women in literature of that era, Jane Eyre was self determined and resolute. I am excited to see how my memory holds up. I was a single woman in my early twenties when I read it the first time. Now a married mother of many approaching 40 may have a different take. Thanks for all your encouragment.

January 11, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Canticle for Leibowitz in on our to-read shelf. That's where I look for a replacement when the one I keep on the desk here or on the coffeetable is done. It's pretty full - poor shelf.

Jane Eyre is one of my favorites too, looks like there are lots of us. :)

January 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home