Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Random thoughts on books, baby teeth, and community

Here is a collection of slightly unrelated thoughts that have been bouncing around my head.

I began my reading program, and it's like getting together with a good old friend. Last night I hired a babysitter so I could get some errands run. I swiftly completed the tasks, then went to Panera, got a steaming bowl of French Onion Soup, and read for 40 minutes. Came home refreshed and even unflappable when all seven kids were still up. Saturday I spent some time reading, and later my 10yo dd said, "Mom, you seem so happy. Is there something we did to help make you happy?" I told her that, sadly, much of my mood has nothing to do with the kiddos, but the part that does is enriched when I have time to reflect on how blessed I am. Don't know if she understood, but I really am suprised that by reading a novel, I do get the room to breathe to feel grateful for all aspects of my life.

On an unrelated topic, ds #4 just lost his first tooth. That means more than half of my children have reached that point of maturity. He was quite bemused, as his tooth fell out during dinner. My dh came home and asked ds when he had lost his tooth. "Huh?" with the cartoonish double take posture. A mad search of the dinner plate, chair, and finally the floor returned the tooth to its rightful owner. Now it resides in a ziplock bag in my sock drawer. I have a drawerful of baby teeth in ziplock bags. Why? I don't know. Feels weird to throw them away.

And lastly, school started again yesterday. I was dreading it, but had quite a good day. It felt good to get back to it. The kiddos had lost some accuracy in their math facts, but I anticipate that they will be back on track by week's end. I felt a constant pull during the school day to check the computer, to check up on this new community I feel so blessed to be part of. This suprised me by making clear how this blogging community has filled a part of me already, and for that, I am thankful. I also know I will have to set a timer when I am on the computer, and limit my time to before and after school only. Maybe I'll use the computer sort of like a smoke break. I have never found a good mental replacement for a smoke break, maybe this will be it. But I'll definatley have to set a timer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

That is the only problem with blogging ... it sucks the time right out of your day if you don't set a timer and obey it (my problem is that I always think, "just one more thing" and then I'm lost!

January 11, 2005  
Blogger rita said...

I am right there with you on the timer...I usually pot the teapot on to boil. It takes about 10-15 minutes for it to whistle, and when it does, I have to get up to quiet it down!
I can relate to that feeling you are experiencing just by reading a novel. It seems so much more productive than a quick look at a tv show, and so nice to carve out a little time for yourself, too. You are motivating me to pick my book back up!

January 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home