Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My poor baby!

I was goofing around with a flashlight and my two year old, and happened to look in his mouth. OH my Goodness, his tonsils are all swollen, red, with little white dots all over them. Did he complain, or in any way identify he was uncomfortable? No. Thank God for being silly, or I would never even have looked in there. I'll be taking him for a strep culture in the morning. Question for one and all - why do I feel guilty when I take my kids to the doctor, as if I have obviously failed as a mother since I allowed a germ to infect my child. I get so nervous when I take kids in to the doctor. I hate that. When does the self assured part of aging kick in?

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I think it's worse when you're involved in the medical field. I'm a nurse. I'm supposed to know, and thus teach my children how to avoid infection from said germs. MY children should know all about proper handwashing, etc. I actually appologized once to a pediatrician about Reagan getting pink eye. I felt much better when she told me all three of her kids had had it just the week before. I mean, if their kids get sick, it must be okay, right?

March 09, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

I think you are right, Anne. I am a Physical Therapist, and when my kids get hurt, it's even worse. My 10 yo dd fell rollerblading and hurt her arm. It didn't seem serious to me, so I just had her splint it and give it rest,ice,and ibuprofin. I should of just taken her for X-rays, because every twinge, every complaint was like a sword of guilt. I still think it was a sprain, but it wasn't worth the agony of self-doubt. An ER visit would have been cheaper in many ways.

March 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self Assured part of aging? There is one?

My grandmother is in her late 60's and still fusses in front of the mirror for 20 minutes complaining of how this or that makes her look fat, or her butt looks big or whatever else she can find to complain about. It reminded me of being a teenager and when my mom told me grandma did that I almost cried. I thought we outgrew that stuff! LOL

March 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home