Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Much to report

These last 6 days have been just packed, although it appears I forgot to pack enough sleep. I was dizzy tired yesterday, but after a good night's sleep, I feel good as new.

Our air-conditioning was reattached on Thursday. Heat + humidity = me in a puddle. I kept being mistaken for the wicked witch of the west because of the constant refrain, "I'm meellting, I'm meellting!!!". So just before company arrived Thursday afternoon, we were able to cool off and dry out, and I got my rear in gear and cleaned the house.

We had a couple visiting over the weekend, which was terrific fun. We are both homeschooling families, with more than a few children, same age, same beliefs regarding the reason we exist. I couldn't believe how quickly we skipped small talk, and went straight to matters of the heart. A real soul refresher, I tell you.

Unfortunately, we stayed up waaaaaay too late every night, and then had a progress-indicitive wake up call of the concrete workers at about 5:30 a.m. It has been fascinating to see how buildings are constructed. The forms for the basement walls were set on Friday, and they were filled yesterday. This meant we saw a portable crane, to move the forms, 3 cement trucks, a dump truck, a back hoe, and a bob cat. My three year old has been positively glued to window, pointing and gasping in awe and wonder. After the workers left, dh and I attempted to put a St. Benedict medal into the cement, but it was already hard. So we put it on the gravel in the corner of the floor, along with a Miraculous medal, and concrete will encase them in the floor. This will be our "cornersone", and is directly below our new bedroom. The priest from our church will be coming out this week to bless the foundation. I love blessings!!

Sunday was a day full of reminders of our many blessings. First, we went to church early to help set up for coffee hour. Our deacon and his wife provide the church with a regular feast every Sunday. They feel social interaction helps glue the parish together, and I have to agree. They make sure there is more than just sweets, and provide meat and cheese, friut and veggies. This way the moms get to go home after church with everyone full, and truly get to rest. Liturgy was inspiring as usual, but for some reason the congregation was singing together better than ever. It gave me goose-bumps, praising Our Lord with the ancient and beautiful Liturgy, the notes pouring out of the faithful in harmony and unity. After church we went to our Catholic Homeschool group's year end picnic. This is a terffic wrap up to the school year. Our group is only 12 or so families, and it is very much like extended family. More that once I heard the comparison of the picnic to a family reunion. There were races, tug of war, water baloon catapults, capture the flag, fishing, and playing catch. The weather was lovely, with relief from the humidity, and everyone brought delicious food to share. After that, we went to my mom's house, where my whole family had gathered to celebrate my brother's birthday. I delighted in watching my children with their cousins, and seeing the true affection between them. We also watched video of the fishing trip my husband and father and brothers went on recently. We went home tired but happy, after a full day of enjoying God's bountiful blessings in our life.

My little baby girl is almost taking steps. She is walking aroung furniture, eyeing the goal across a gap. She stands still, stares at the desired destination, sways side to side, with the concentration of an Olympic athlete. Finally, she ventures out, feet wide and arms reaching for the goal. One foot goes out, she wavers, and drops to her hands and knees with a giggle and lightening speed crawling. It won't be long and she'll be running with the big kids.

Well, I can't think of anything profound, so I will let it go at an information report only. I will hopefully be inspired sometime soon with meaningful reflections, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I'm absolutely incapable of maintaining small talk for more than a few minutes. I know what you mean about finding soul-talk refreshing. I don't know about you, but I sure wish sometimes I had friends like that living next door to me - it sure seems like living a good and authentic life would be easier with a little more heart-to-heart friendship around!

June 15, 2005  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

i was just thinking about you - glad you are okay and not melting...

i didn't want you to think the fact that your baby girl is taking steps would slip by us unnoticed...do you have the *baby urge* again?? hmmm???

peace and blessings - thank you for your many prayers over the last few weeks. they've been felt by us and answered by Him :)

June 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home